Sunday 12 September 2010

Another weekend...

Yesterday I went to the beautiful town of Stratford upon Avon with 19 students. What a beautiful place, so full of extremely well-documented history. I love that so many places in the UK have history but to know exactly what happened almost 500 years ago is so incredible to me. We visited the church where Shakespeare preached, saw the Bible he and his fellow congregation would have read from, his and his family's graves, and then his schoolroom (which isn't usually open to the public, being part of the Grammar school), before going past the house in which he died, the pub he hung out in with his literary buddies, and finally we went to the Shakespeare centre and his birthplace. It's the second time I'd been, and I love it just as much for the history of the place and finding out what life was like in the 16th and 17th centuries, as for my inner Shakespeare fan. The icing on the cake was that the weather was gorgeous although I was totally inappropriately dressed as it was raining torrentially when I woke up :/

I also, at this juncture, would like to say how much I love Charity shops!! I went into Oxfam and managed to get a lovely winter coat (originally probably 50 quid from Next) for £6, and a dress for a wedding I'm going to for £7, weeeeeeeeeeeee. Brilliant.

Last weekend I went to two baby showers. One baby's due in about 5 weeks, and the other was due in 7 weeks, but he came early, on Wednesday. He was obviously very excited about all the fuss and probably wanted to see the presents everyone got him, but luckily although he was very premature, he is breathing unaided and should be OK to go home very soon. It's all very exciting though and I look forward to meeting him soon!!

This week I have a few things to do. One of my friends is going out to work in Vietnam in a week or so, so a few leaving drinkies with her tomorrow, I need a haircut before the weekend, and I have my French class as usual on Thursday evening. We're packing a lot into these lessons, and although I have a long way to go, it's going well. On Thursday I'm also thinking about going along to my friend/ colleague's choir. It's a lively modern singing group more than a choir, I suppose, so I'm gonna try it out for a few weeks and see how it goes!!

Slept really badly last night, and I'm definitely feeling the effects of not getting enough rest. I'd love to be out and about more often but usually by the time the weekend rolls around I'm totally exhausted. I'm gonna keep an eye on my diet, but certain housemates stomping around and using 'outdoor' voices at all hours of the night (or, 4-4.30 am as it was today) certainly doesn't help.

1 comment: