Wednesday 9 June 2010

Spanglish

I've just found this blog through an article I read on the BBC. It's so funny, because this Spanglish is, quite often, how my brain sounds.

A lot of the time, I want to say things, but I have to speak in English and it somehow doesn't quite come out how I meant it. It's a bit stupid, since I'm only a native English speaker who acquired Spanish in the last 10-15 years, but I did so much growing up during my time in South America (both times, 18-19 yrs old and 21-22), that it is entrenched in my internal communication.

Speaking in Spanish (even if it's just to myself) helps me to remind myself of grammar and the sound of the language, and I actually speak a kind of Spanglish at times with at least three of my friends (some of whom I lived with in Peru). It, like the BBC article says, gives us more nuances - with all the vocabulary of these two huge languages we can truly express what we want to say. (As well as that, it makes us laugh... and psychologically the idea of three native English speakers speaking in Spanish or Spanglish a good chunk of the time is probably very interesting!!!)

Anyway, I'm too tired to go into this much more for now but it's something I might come back to - maybe one day I'll post an entry in whatever language(s) the words come out in!!

No comments:

Post a Comment