Tuesday 13 July 2010

Niqab..

This is a theme that I mentioned a little in my old blog, when I was living in Saudi Arabia.

I've just read that France have passed the law prohibiting women from covering their faces in public.

Although it seems it was inevitable in a country that takes so much pride in its secular nature, I still feel disappointed and a little distressed on behalf of the women who cover. The BBC article I read says that most of the approximately 2,000 women who wear a niqab or a burkha in France are recent converts. To me that implies that most of these are probably French-born. The fact that the law has been passed shows such ignorance and disrespect of Islam.

In Saudi Arabia, most women I met were forced by law to cover their hair. Most covered their faces too, but more due to the culture than being made to by their male relations, or anything like this. Most of these women, however, the minute they leave Saudi, would uncover their faces. It is a minority of women who choose to cover their faces, but it is something, in their own interpretation of the Qu'ran and the teachings of the Prophet, that they are obliged to do. Whether or not we, as non-Muslims, agree with it is irrelevant. I feel just as strongly about all women (Muslim and non-Muslim) being forced to wear an abaya in Saudi. Just because it is your belief, does not mean I must share it. The same is true, in my opinion, in both countries. Although, in Saudi Arabia, I may choose to wear an abaya in order to 'fit in' more, I do not see why I should be impelled to do so. Similarly, although there was no law enforcing women to cover their faces, I did cover my face on occasion in order not to attract so much attention.

It is probably naive of me to say this, but why can't we just let people be. Banning women from covering their faces is being hailed as an expression of French identity. But I feel as though prohibiting the wearing of a niqab is almost worse than forcing someone to wear it. (although in both cases, it is sold to the woman as "protecting" her). It says in the article that in the wording of the legislation itself, no mention is made of burkhas or niqabs. Will that mean people will be forbidden from wearing fancy-dress masks that cover their faces??

Belgium and Spain will both be looking at the reaction to this news with interest, as both countries are also interested in introducing similar legislation. I hope they are able to make the mature decision of NOT following in France's footsteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment